Saturday 21 June 2014

DIY MV Robinson trap and recent round up...

In preparation for National Moth Night I’ve built me a new Robinson MV trap. I still need to fashion some baffles and a rain guard but it’s looking good. A test run over a couple of hours last night drew in over 50 moths. The whole thing came in at under £100, which isn’t bad considering similar ones are £300+ new. The plastic tub I ordered was a little larger than I expected though…


Bird news…

Breeding birds
Seabird season is in full swing with plenty of young birds now around.  A few hours on the cliffs last night revealed that one or two Guillemot chicks have began jumping. I also recorded my first Shags as having fledged this week. Kittiwakes now have chicks and Fulmars won’t be long behind. Although it’s early, figures are hinting at a productive season.



 
Migrants
It’s been fairly quiet recently besides a few skeins of Greylag and Canada Geese heading north. Recent seawatching has been slow and the only notable birds have been Manxies and Common Scoter.

Damsels, Dragons, Moths and Butts…
Huge numbers of Blue-tailed and Common Blue Damselflies have emerged around the Mire Loch and it seems like big numbers are being recorded elsewhere in the borders.



Over the last month we have seen the emergence of Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Common Blue and Northern Brown Argus. Dark-Green Fritillaries and Graylings won’t be long now. Several Hummingbird Hawk-moths have also been reported on the headland but I'm still to connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment